Ethics for Court Reporters: 5 hours
Presenter: Sue McDuffie, CSR
This program covers how to handle various situations that arise, such as:
- When to go on and off the record in depositions and court proceedings
- How to handle interrupting proceedings
- What to do when you can’t hear or understand
- Responding to clients’ challenges to transcripts
- Appropriate procedures when doing research
- Interacting with pro se parties and nonparties
- Billing clients and collecting money owed properly
- Punctuating difficult and poorly said sentences and passages (including an in-depth review of all punctuation marks)
- Handling verbatim issues (stutters, use of sic, accents, and so forth)
- Using quotation marks with quoted or possible quoted passages
- Depicting audiotaped and videotaped materials in transcripts
- Dealing with issues related to the use of translators
- Using parentheticals correctly and effectively
- Review of homonyms
Title: “Grammar and Punctuation Made Easy for Court Reporters” 3 hours
Presenter: Carrie Pique, CSR
Carrie shows how to master grammar and punctuation for the working reporter by learning how to easily differentiate between commonly misused words; e.g. passed or past, affect or effect. She will also cover how to correctly punctuate while not over-punctuating.
After taking this course, you will glean a better understanding of how to put together a well-read, properly-punctuated transcript. You can have fun while working on a transcript without stressing out if you have the proper working tools and possess a great understanding of grammar and punctuation. Everyone needs a refresher.
- Learn how to properly research material, such as in research books
- Learn how to not be too dependent on Google
- Hyphenation. Is it one word or two?
- Commonly misused words
Session Title: “Managing Stress for Court Reporters With Humor”
Skills for balancing your life: 2 hours
Presenter: Jeff Justice
If you have ever attended one of Jeff’s programs, then you know how much fun getting your CEUs can be. In this fun-packed court Reporter seminar, funnyman Jeff Justice shows you how to use your sense of humor to release stress, defuse anger and improve relationships.
This laugh-while-you-learn session will show you concrete ways to deal with the stress in your life.